Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Who is wearing what.......

I was reading an article (US News and World Report Aug 4/11 2008 pp.69) about the medical effects that tattooing has on the body. Part of the article talked about the removal of the tattoo and the other part of the article talked about tattoo causing skin cancer as a result of the dyes used. Other illnesses associated with tattoos are Hepatitis C and the transmitting of HIV in addition; there are concerns with having tattoos and having an epidural performed during pregnancy.

There is stigmatism associated with having tattoos. In certain professional job, exposed tattoos are considered an unacceptable form of body expression. As I started working in middle and high school, I noticed that this fade has appeared more visible in places on exposed areas of teacher’s arms, legs, and shoulders, necks, and ankles. Young students are talking about their teacher’s clothing, underwear’s (thong) and their tattoos.

I don’t think that the teachers realize that their students are studying more then the lesson for the day. Teachers are seen as role models. As a role model, the examples of learning are learned in many ways. Schools are seen as places of business were learning is taking place. An employer will never state the reason why they did not hire you especially if it has to do with an impression being made at an interview. As an example, Sean Combs (puffy) is a very successful businessman and he clearly understands what is the appropriate norm for a business environment. However, in a different setting, he might dress and speak differently amongst his friends/peers.

Tattoos are a form of body expression that will never be accepted in all work environments. The stigma is changing but the facts are that tattoos can be un- healthy and their could be long term side effects if a person decides to have them removed.

2 comments:

Maria DiDomenico said...

I agree 100% about tattoos being a stigma in the workplace. I have several tattoos and was very cautious to keep them out of visiblity in the workplace. And your right, the hiring managers don't want to see tattoos at an interview. I think we need to teach our student sthey have a right to express themselves but... keep it appropriate.

Dr. Mad Scientist said...

I agree with several points you made. I have several (four, fairly large) tattoos (always suprises people when I tell them that) and I honestly want to someday get my entire back done. I love my tattoos and I have the next one planned and ready to go, once I get the money/justification.

But there are several important things to consider with tattoos:

Content: are you still going to love that tattoo when you're 60?

Position: Both in terms of later career (my only tattoo that typically shows is on my ankle, and only when I wear shorts, not an issue for employers) and your body in general. What is that butterfly on your belly button going to look like after having three kids ladies? Or guys, when you get a middle age beer gut? I chose locations for my tattoos that, hopefully, won't change too much with advancing age.

Lastly, health concerns. Disease like HIV and Hep C aren't really an issue if you're careful about where you get them done, but what many people don't realize is the government doesn't regulate tattoo dyes. It's actually kind of a hot topic with the FDA right now. As long as the ink doesn't cause short term health issues it's typically allowed. There is no long term info on the health effects of tattoo ink. In many cases the composition of tattoo ink is a trade secret. But if you read the kinds of chemicals and compounds that constitute tattoo inks, you may be wary.

Of course I have a Ph.D in toxicology, so I think about these things. And I have my tattoos anyways, so obviously the knowledge hasn't overly concerned me...