Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day November 4, 2008

November 4, 2008 was a day made in history. I woke up at 5:30am to go to the polls with my family. As I was pulling off of my drive, I saw my neighbor's window opening. I stop in front of her house to asked if she wanted a ride to the polls and she said yes! My husband was asked to called several of my neighbor for a wake up call and he did that too!

When I arrived to the polling location, I could not believe my eyes!!! There was no parking anywhere. People were standing in line waiting to vote. The line extended more then two blocks. People of all ages and all cultures were waiting to cast their votes. I waited on line with my family for 45 minutes after the polls opened. While I was waiting I started to take pictures of all the people waiting and listening to all of the excitement as they were talking to people standing and waiting.

I went home feeling so happy and saying a a pray that my candidate would win and that it would be a land slide so that the vote would not be contested in anyway. I was later told that the people started to gather about 5:30am just to vote. No one wanted to miss their opportunity to vote.

As I was watching the results I started to reflected on how I am part of this historical day in history and that I am alive to see it. I can share this historical day with with my children and husband. This is a day that I never thought would happen in my life time, "A person of color would win the highest political office in the nation". Many of my friends called and text me that night. I received calls from all parts of the country.

Our new President Elect,Mr Obama has empowered all of us to help him to continue to make changes in America for all people and I will do just that as an educator!!!!!

No comments: