Sunday, November 2, 2008

Adolescents Issues, Facing the Youth's of Today.

I was listening to a radio program and the topic of discussion was about teenager and their sexual behaviors. Some of the information being discussed mentions the increase in HIV/AID’s in teenagers. I wanted to continue to listen to the program but I was on my way to an appointment. I kept thinking about the topic and I began to wonder how HIV/AID is affecting the urban community teenagers. I started to look up the topic on the web and I found four categories that could be starting points for a research paper. The comments are as follows:
· Why do teens feel that they are not going to be the one to be exposed?
· This is a time when teens are developing personally and sexual Identity. They will want to experiment with homosexual relationships.
· They are having unprotected sexual intercourse.
· Drug experimentation may begin.

The disease is on the increase in minority teens. I would like to reseach what could be the causes. How does being exposed to this disease effects an adolescent ablity to continue to learn in school? The next question I began to think about was: Should HIV/AID’s testing be a mandatory test for student entering into middle school and Should the testing be done in school/ privately or both? Once the testing is done, What type of intervention planning is put into place? Will there be counselors in the schools to help with the education of the student in this matter?

1 comment:

rg said...

I think you raise an important issue regarding teenage sexuality and identity. But, I don't think it's appropriate to assume teens will engage in sexual behaviors or experiment. Part of what you will need to understand as an urban teacher, is how issues of sexuality play out in urban communities.