Monday, December 15, 2008

Working on My Reflections and Conclusions



I am still work on my conclusion and reflection because I am trying to come to a decision about the information I have gathered.

I went to Newark to the museum to start my tour of Newark. I have not been in the area for more then 12 yrs. As soon as I arrived there, I traveled off the highway and headed to downtown area. I started to see some familiar site, like the path train and the prudential building. I noticed that much of the area had newly constructed buildings and roads.
The down town area reminded me of Harlem 125th street. The street in certain areas had lots of people walking. There were lots of police present. After my visit to the museum I travel to Shabazz High School. You could clearly see the area was changing. There was new apartments and new home amongst the older building, churches, and business in the area. I notice a supermarket chain that is very common in urban communities. C town is a chain of supermarkets that I grew up with in my urban communities. I have not seen that chain since I move out of Harlem. The down town area had a Sports arena, NJ Pac, pawnshops, banks and some fast foods.
I looked for places that provided healthcare however I did not notice any doctor office or health clinics. I through that was strange. Were would people in the community receive care? The ER is there community healthcare provider. I did notice a hospital sign right outside of the grounds of Shabazz.
Shabazz HS had a gated entrance. The school looks new and there are other schools located on the grounds I started taking pictures of the new football field. The school is located among homes and apartments. I was very surprise to see the school located in this area. It was very nice, but I felt like I was in a concrete city. There were very little trees and plant life. Where are the trees and the parks? The nearest restaurant was McDonald. My visit was very nice, it remind me of where I grow up in Harlem. I discover that schools in this community play a very important role in the life of the students. Much of the students learning take place in school. The school is a place where children will receive support when they are struggling in their subjects. School is also a place where the community will also rely on. It is a place to conduct business and pro-vide activity and events for the community. The roles of the teacher in this community will be a difficult one.

No comments: